Complaints procedure

Your right to complain

Every year we help thousands of people. However, every so often someone comes away feeling unhappy. Perhaps you had to wait longer than expected, only to find out that there is very little we can do for you. Perhaps you felt that you were not treated with respect or courtesy. Perhaps our advice didn’t help, or was wrong.

Unfortunately, these things happen. We know we are not perfect, but we aim to be. That is why we have a complaints procedure. Sometimes we can put things right; sometimes we can only explain ourselves and apologise. But we do want to learn from our mistakes. What you tell us helps to improve our service to you.

We will treat your complaint confidentially and seriously.

What can I do?

It is important to let us know that you are unhappy and to give us the chance to put things right. Don’t be afraid to speak to the Chief Executive who may be able to sort out the problem straight away. Otherwise, move to the more formal process.

Send your complaint in the first instance to:
The Chief Executive or Trustee Chair
Burnley & Pendle Citizens Advice
61-63 Every Street

Or telephone 01282 616750

Emailing the Chief Executive

Please complete the form at the bottom of this page

Please include as much detail about your complaint as possible. For example; date, time, locality, nature.

Please don’t forget to include either a contact number, a home address or email address where you can be contacted.

If you are not a service user, ask our Chief Executive to explain the Third Party complaints procedure to you.

What happens next?

Your complaint will be investigated by the Chief Executive or, if you are complaining about the Chief Executive, by the Chair.

If it is upheld, you will get a full apology and be given details of any action that the service is taking to put things right. If you are not satisfied with the outcome you can ask for a further review. We will tell you how to do this.

We will aim to respond in full to your complaint in eight weeks. However, if the issue is complicated, any delay will be explained and you will be kept informed of progress.

If you prefer, you can ask national Citizens Advice Service to refer your complaint to us. You can complain via Citizens Advice by calling the complaints line or you can email your complaint.

The national Citizens Advice Service will assess who is the best person to handle your complaint

National Citizens Advice Service

By phone: 03000 231 900

If you are not happy with the response you have received to your complaint, you can request a review.

The review will be conducted under the direction of the national Citizens Advice Service Chief Executive.

If you are still not happy, you can ask for your complaint to be looked at by an Independent Adjudicator.

Review by an Adjudicator

Finally, your complaint may go to a person who is entirely separate from the Citizens Advice Service. This person is called the Independent Adjudicator. If you want to progress to this stage, you must do so within four weeks of receiving the national Citizens Advice Service review.

Financial Ombudsman Service

The Financial Ombudsman Service provides a free, independent service for clients to solve disputes with not for profit debt advice providers.

The Financial Ombudsman Service will only step in once we have had the opportunity to investigate matters, so please contact us first.

The Financial Ombudsman Service

By phone: 0800 0 234 567 – Free for people phoning from a ‘fixed’ landline

By email:

By online form:

About Us

We are an independent charity providing free, impartial and confidential advice to people living in Burnley, Nelson, Barnoldswick and Colne. We exist to help people find a way forward, whoever they are, whatever their problem.

More About Us


0800 144 8848
9 am – 5 pm Mon – Fri

Help to Claim

0800 144 8444
8 am – 6 pm Mon – Fri

More Ways to Get In Touch

Drop By

61-63 Every Street
Nelson, BB9 7LT

Calico Building
Centenary Court
Croft Street
Burnley, BB11 2ED

Direction and Maps

Burnley and Pendle Citizens Advice; Charity Registration Number 1111611, Company limited by guarantee, Registered Number 5540011 England, Registered office 61/63 Every Street, Nelson, Lancashire, BB9 7LT, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Authorisation Number: FRN:617529. ICO Registration No:- ZA369391.